Latest Posts

Topic: Some replays

_Elefantenrennen
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2023-11-18, 16:06

Here are some replays of interesting games of me versus the-x. The version is 1.2 6a9523b@protected/navalwarfare.

Edited: 2023-11-19, 07:41

Attachment:
Elefantenrennen_vs_thex.zip (1.8 MB)

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-11-22, 21:52

I played against the-x yesterday, also with the tournament round 3 version. I post it here because I think this is an interesting addition to naval warfare examples. We played on a modified version of Crossing the Horizon, so the limited space on the starting island lessened the difference of our build up speed for a long time.

But the interesting part was how I was able to resist several invasion attempts with a much weaker fleet. You have to watch carefully, because crowded naval battles are very hard to follow in a replay, but what I did was that I always tried to attack his troops carrier ship with 2 warships while his other ships fought my single ships in front of my 2 expansion ports. (I was able to build up good enough land defenses on my starting island early on, so after an initial test attack he didn't try to attack it until he got well trained soldiers.)

Even though he could have taken out all my warships, he always retreated when his troops carrier was severely damaged or lost. Maybe he just wanted to prolong the game for more practice, but I'm pretty sure the first time my tactic and its success caught him by surprise.

When he finally arrived with well trained soldiers as I still haven't recovered my fleet, he was able to conquer my port on my starting island and my HQ, so I told him that I give up, but don't want to actually resign, because I didn't want to end the game with burning all my military buildings and warehouses, when technically I still had some chance to resist some more. He then asked for a last great naval battle. During that I also tried to put the expedition ship I had prepared earlier to some use, and built a new port on the starting island, but I wasn't careful enough, and it was within the range of his invasion soldiers, so they immediately destroyed it. Then I realised that I still had a pretty good building material economy there, so I could build a port from land at a farther spot. The replay ends due to a disconnect just when he sent his fleet to attack that last hope of a port space.

Edited: 2023-11-22, 22:39

Attachment:
the-x_tothxa.zip (2.0 MB)

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2023-11-22, 22:35

I always tried to attack his troops carrier ship with 2 warships while his other ships fought my single ships in front of my 2 expansion ports. … I'm pretty sure the first time my tactic and its success caught him by surprise.

It's even there in the lore text of the Empire shipyard: "Uni navi ne committas omnia." face-smile.png

Top Quote