Latest Posts

Topic: fast forwards until next notification

knarf
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-01-03, 22:41

Hi,

I only played the tutorials and one campaign, and this suggestion is obviously only for single player mode, but what I missed (or did not find) was:

A possibility to fast forward until the next notification. The speed of the fast forward does not necessarily need to be "maximum", but could maybe even be configurable. The nice thing come now: once a new message comes in (or I deactivate it by hand), the speed should automatically revert to whatever it was beforehand. One possibility to get that into the GUI would be inside the notification window. Another would be a configurable hot key.

What I currently do when I do find myself waiting for something is turning up the speed using Page+Up, but once a/the message arrives, it takes me some time to turn down the speed again, and during that time the game still blazes away much too fast.

What do you think?

Edited: 2024-01-03, 22:41

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-01-03, 23:38

I don't understand this completely. The messages are not triggered by time but by game achievements. So increasing the time woulkd not make necessarily the next notification to appear faster but the Ai having more time to build up as the players actions would be slower in relation to gametime. Furthermore in the more advanced scenarios there are multiple objective streams each having there own messages. So please clarify what is the intention here.

Top Quote
knarf
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-01-04, 10:20

Thanks for your response. I fear I did not quite explain well enough. Consider this: You are in the middle of a game that at the moment is quite slow because nothing much happens: you wait for things to complete or whatever. So typically you speed up by increasing the speed. This I think (hope) has nothing to do with the AI, as this speeds up as well. Now something happens, so typically you want to go to normal speed again, and do so quickly, as you want to react quickly. Also, often this is connected to a notification. Thus, it would be nice to tell the game in some quick way (one key or button press) to speed up until either a notification comes in, and then to automatically go back to normal speed, in an instant. Equally nice would it be to stop this fast speed by one action as well (could be the same key/button as when starting it).

Assuming you could do all that, it would additionally be nice to be able to set the value of this 'speedup', as different people and/or games likely require different 'fast forward speeds', ideally next to the button to start this, to be able to adapt without going through menus. As this would be tied to notifications, I could imagine this inside that menu (but it could be someplace else as well).

Edited: 2024-01-04, 10:20

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-01-04, 11:23

Are you aware of Ctrl+PgUp/Ctrl+PgDn to change the speed in steps of 10? Also the Pause key (except in multiplayer), which pauses the game without forgetting the desired speed. You can even change the desired speed with PgUp/PgDn while the game is paused, so the new speed will be used when the game is resumed. And Shift+Pause resets the speed to 1.

Edited: 2024-01-04, 11:23

Top Quote
knarf
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-01-04, 11:58

I was indeed not aware of Ctrl+PageUp/Down, nor of the Pause key - probably because my (laptop) keyboard does not have that key. Thanks for the hint, I will just use another key for that. While this does not quite solve my issue (reset speed at new notification), it goes lengths towards more comfortable fast forward.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-01-04, 21:40

Another possibility would be to allow changing the game speed even when a modal story message box is open. So if the message pops up while the game is at 50× one can conveniently slow down again before dismissing the box and resuming the game.

Top Quote